In just 3.5 hours, The CAT High Speed Ferry will transport you to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor, Maine. Along the way, you will get to see fantastic views of the rocky coast of Maine and Nova Scotia while enjoying the onboard entertainment and amenities. RVs, pickups, SUVs, cars, tour buses, motorcycles, and bicycles are welcome as well as walk-on passengers and your four-legged friends. Leave the navigation to us as you experience your new sea adventure onboard The CAT!
Amenities include live music featuring regional musical talent, a gift shop, movie theater, the Sip at Sea Café and the Scotia Market Cafeteria. There is a Business center with three computers and Internet access (20-minute limit). To learn more about Yarmouth and Nova Scotia, there is a Nova Scotia Visitor Information Center as well.
GPS: 44.3986902°N, -68.2252916°W
Prior to entering Canada, passengers must provide mandatory travel information using ArriveCAN, a Free & Secure App, available for iOS, Android and in a web version. Currently available languages are English, French and Spanish. This information must be submitted within 72 hours before arriving in Canada, and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada.
All travelers, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need. Refer to the following page for the details and current information, including COVID-19 vaccination requirements:
Location & Requirements
The Bar Harbor terminal is at 121 Eden Street on the Northeastern side of the island along Route 3 just before entering the main business center of Bar Harbor. If you have arrived before your departure date, you should explore the area via Acadia Magic to become familiar with the geographical layout. The island is likely larger than you are aware of. There often are not any direct routes to-and-from areas of interest. Take your time. It is a truly gorgeous location.
ID & Travel Requirements
All guests traveling on The CAT Ferry operating between Bar Harbor, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, must have one of the following travel documents completed BEFORE arrival and ready to show our agents as part of the check-in process:
- A Passport (required for air travel)
- Passport Card
- Enhanced Drivers License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) applicable to select states/provinces only (MI, MN, NY, VT, WA; ON, BC, MB)
- NOTICE: If you are not a United States or Canadian born citizen, you will be required to have a passport and possibly a Visa.
- Additional Notice: The NEXUS is not available on this route.
- The CAT Ferry Terminal in Bar Harbor: (207) 901-0077
121 Eden St., Bar Harbor, ME 04609
(View Official Bar Harbor Terminal Website)
- The CAT Ferry Terminal in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia: (902) 742-6800
58 Water St., Yarmouth, Nova Scotia B5A 1L3 Canada
- Canada Border Services Agency:
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency:
- Hancock County - Bar Harbor Airport: (207) 667-7329
115 Caruso Drive
Trenton, ME 04605 (View Airport Website)
- Scenic Flights of Acadia: (207) 667-6527
- Cape Air: (866) 227-3247
From Outside U.S.: (508) 771-6944
- Free Island Explorer Bus Service: (207) 667-5796
PO Box 914, Ellsworth, ME 04605
- Hertz Rent A Car: (800) 654-3131
Direct: (207) 667-5017
- Enterprise Rent A Car: (800) 736-8222
Direct: (207) 664-2662
- Acadia GEM EV Rentals: (207) 288-8983
All Electric Vehicles
- At Your Service Private Tours: (207) 288-9222
- Bar Harbor Coastal Cab: (207) 288-1222
8 Oak Street, Bar Harbor, ME
- Y&P Taxi Services: (207) 412-8934
The CAT is Back!
The CAT was a well-known source of adventure, entertainment, and travel in Bar Harbor for many years. Then, much to the disappointment of many, it left for several years. But finally in 2022 it has returned. It is not difficult to explain how important The CAT Ferry Service was for those whose only option was to travel over land to Nova Scotia. Driving from Bangor to Yarmouth takes about 6.5 hours. From Bar Harbor it would take about 7 hours. Doing it by ferry takes about 3.5 hours. But that is not why most of you are here. It is for the thrill of something new and different. It is also for the spectacular coastal views that you cannot experience in any other way. And while you are enjoying the splendid views, you are also getting to enjoy the onboard amenities and doing something truly unique with your loved ones. This will be one of those great memories.