Maine Marriage Requirements and Procedures

Marriage licenses are issued at the town or city level. Both the bride and groom must visit the town office in person to apply for the marriage license. You may want to check your town's website for information.

  • If both of you are residents of the state of Maine, you should both apply at the town office where at least one of you is a resident. If you are residents of different Maine towns, you both may apply in one town or the other - you do not need to apply separately in each town.
  • If one is from out of state, then both of you should apply in the town where one holds residency.
  • If neither of you is a resident of Maine, then you may apply in any Maine town office. It need not be the same town where you plan to be married.
  • Your marriage license is valid for 90 days and can only be used within the State of Maine. There is no longer a Waiting Period from the time your marriage license is issued until your wedding can take place. The person performing the ceremony is responsible for filing the marriage certificate with the town office that issued the marriage license.


To obtain a marriage license:

  • Photo ID such as a driver's license may be required.
  • If this is not the first marriage for one of you, bring a certified copy (raised seal) of the divorce form or death certificate of the last spouse.
  • Applicants must be over 18 years old. Written parental consent is required for an applicant under 18. Written parental consent and written consent of a judge are required for an applicant under 16.
  • No blood test is required.
  • You may want to check with the municipal clerk where you are filing before-hand to find out what that municipality's policies are.


The following individuals are authorized to perform marriages in Maine:

  • Ordained ministers of the gospel
  • A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body
  • Judges or justices (residents of Maine only)
  • Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only)
  • Maine Notaries - Search for Maine Notaries by Location or Name
  • Maine does not have Justices of the Peace. Out-of-state Notaries and Justices of the Peace cannot officiate weddings in Maine.

Maine Statutes Related to Marriage:

Note: Refer to the following State of Maine page to verify current information and for further details:

Maine Website

Additional Park Information

To talk with an Acadia National Park representative for more information, please contact the Special Use Permit Coordinator at:

(207) 288-8793


Return to main Weddings page:

Return to Weddings Page

Government Website for Acadia:

Feel Free to Contact

You will find a large amount of detailed information in this wedding and marriage ceremony resource guide. Take you time. Print out what is needed. If you would like to speak with someone, do not hesitate to call the National Park Service, local municipalities, local hotels, bed and breakfast, and wedding planners. They will be happy to answer your questions.

Acadia and Bar Harbor Resource Guide